The first day of spring started at the spring equinox yesterday, Monday, March 20, 2023 at 5:24 in the afternoon Eastern Daylight Time in the northern hemisphere; and what better way is there to herald its arrival but with colorful flowers — especially 23 places to see cherry blossoms in the northern hemisphere?
23 Places to See Cherry Blossoms in the Northern Hemisphere
Without further ado, here is a list of the 23 places to see cherry blossoms in the northern hemisphere — along with links, where applicable:
- Amsterdam, Netherlands — Keukenhof Gardens
- Athens, Ohio, United States — Ohio University campus
- Boston, Massachusetts, United States — Charles River Esplanade
- Brooklyn, New York, United States — Brooklyn Botanic Garden
- Dallas, Texas, United States — Dallas Arboretum
- Dublin, Ireland — National Botanic Gardens
- Kyoto, Japan — Philosopher’s Path
- Los Angeles, California, United States — Descanso Gardens
- Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts, United States — The streets around the island
- Newark, New Jersey, United States — Branch Brook Park
- New York, New York, United States — Central Park
- Paris, France — Trocadéro near the Eiffel Tower
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States — Shofuso Japanese House and Garden in Fairmount Park
- Portland, Oregon, United States — Hoyt Arboretum
- Portland, Oregon, United States — Portland Japanese Garden
- Portland, Oregon, United States — Tom McCall Waterfront Park
- San Francisco, California, United States — Japanese Tea Garden at the Cherry Blossom Festival
- Seattle, Washington, United States — University of Washington
- Tokyo, Japan — Shinjuku Gyoen Park
- Traverse City, Michigan, United States — Leelanau Trail
- Traverse City, Michigan, United States — Michigan State Highway 37
- Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada — VanDusen Botanical Garden
- Washington, District of Columbia, United States — National Cherry Blossom Festival
Final Boarding Call
Seeing the blossoms on cherry trees may not require a long drive — or an trip by airplane — but then again, travel may only add to the experience.
You can view my photographic essay of the blossoms of cherry trees at the Tidal Basin in the District of Columbia from a few years ago.
All photographs ©2016 by Brian Cohen.