“On behalf of the entire Hilton team, we hope this message finds you in good health. As the world adapts to these unusual circumstances, I wanted to share what we are doing to extend your Hilton Honors benefits and to support our communities during this turbulent time.”
Hilton Extends Status and Points For Everyone; Flexible Reservation Policy Updates: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic
The paragraph you just read was from an e-mail message which is currently being sent to guests and all members of the Hilton Honors frequent guest loyalty program and signed by Christopher Nassetta — who is the current president and chief executive officer of Hilton — in response to the constantly evolving situation pertaining to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus, which is also known as COVID-19 or 2019-nCoV.
The latest information from Hilton pertains to updates with regards to the extensions of the expiration of points and elite level status — as well as improving the flexibility of the booking and cancellation policies of reservations in general.
Status of Benefits of Hilton Honors Points and Elite Level Status
Your benefits are automatically being extended with no effort or input required on your part as a Hilton Honors member — including:
- 2019 Elite Level Status Extension. All members whose 2019 elite status was scheduled to be downgraded on Tuesday, March 31, 2020 will automatically receive an extension through Wednesday, March 31, 2021.
- 2020 Elite Level Status Extension. Your 2020 elite status will automatically be extended through Thursday, March 31, 2022 — which means that you will continue to enjoy all the Diamond, Gold or Silver elite status level benefits to which you have access today for the next 24 months.
- Points Expiration Date Extension. The expiration of all points scheduled to expire between now and Thursday, December 31, 2020 will be paused until further notice.
- Extension of Weekend Night Rewards Earned on Eligible Hilton Credit Cards. The expiration date of all Weekend Night Rewards which have not expired as of Wednesday, March 11, 2020 — and all Weekend Night Rewards which will have been issued until Sunday, August 30, 2020 — will automatically be extended through Tuesday, August 31, 2021.
Flexibility With Reservations Policies
If you need to adjust reservations which were booked via the official Internet web site of Hilton, mobile software application program, or call center, you can change your reservation or contact the Guest Assistance team at Hilton. If you need to adjust reservations which were booked through another travel site, please contact the personnel at that site for assistance.
Given the unique circumstances of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus pandemic, Hilton remains committed to offering you flexible options when booking your reservations by further adjusting its individual policies pertaining to booking reservations — even reservations which are described as “non-cancellable” or “Advanced Purchase” — which can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival day:
- All existing reservations which are scheduled for arrival on or before Tuesday, June 30, 2020.
- Any new reservations which you book between today and Tuesday, June 30, 2020 for any future arrival date.
Hilton is proud to support the many communities impacted by the 2019 Novel Coronavirus around the world.
- Health Care and First Responders. Hilton is partnering with federal, state and local governments to provide housing for first responders and health care workers.
- Financial Assistance. The Hilton Effect Foundation has pledged financial assistance to organizations helping those impacted by the 2019 Novel Coronavirus.
- Donating Hilton Honors Points. Members of the Hilton Honors frequent guest loyalty program may now donate points to World Central Kitchen, Clean the World, Project Hope or Direct Relief. All donations of points will be converted into cash and sent directly to the organization.
I find that the team members of Hilton are doing everything they can to provide maximum flexibility to you and other guests — as well as members of the Hilton Honors frequent guest loyalty program — is comforting to know when compared to other lodging companies.
“We will continue to regularly update our COVID-19 page with our most up to date information”, according to the aforementioned e-mail message from Christopher Nasseta. “COVID-19 has created unprecedented challenges for our industry, our hotels and our Team Members. While we have done all we can to limit changes for our people, without a traveling public we simply have fewer guests to welcome. As a result, we have suspended operations at many of our hotels and made the difficult decision to furlough some of our hotel Team Members. I am pleased to share that we are partnering with a number of companies looking to quickly expand their workforce, and that our incredibly talented Team Members will experience an expedited application process across many of these temporary opportunities.”
As the e-mail message concluded that “Our team is available to assist you day or night should you have any questions, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay”, I am looking forward to my next stay at a hotel or resort property which is part of the brand portfolio of Hilton — whenever that may occur…
All photographs ©2015, ©2018, and ©2019 by Brian Cohen.