Consider ensuring that you have alternate plans ready to be implemented in case your travels are adversely affected because of a dangerously strong system causing severe weather impacting the eastern United States March 2023.
Severe Weather Impacting Eastern United States: March 2023 Travel Alert
The following statement is currently posted at the official Internet web site of the National Weather Service of the United States:
March Going Out Like a Lion with Intensifying Central U.S. Storm
Tens of Millions of people are under threat of potentially intense severe weather as a powerful frontal system sweeps across the Central U.S. At least a few long-track, strong to potentially violent tornadoes, intense damaging wind, and very large hail are probable across much of the Mississippi Valley. Heavy snow and blowing snow will produce travel hazards in the Upper Midwest.
The map of the United States from the National Weather Service indicates that tornado watches, high wind warnings, and wind advisories have been issued from northeastern New Mexico and southeastern Colorado all the way to western New York and most of South Carolina.
At least four tornados caused extensive damage and numerous injuries when they touched down in Arkansas, Illinois, Tennessee, and Iowa.
Today was an emotional roller coaster. Still processing. But this. This here – there is nothing like this feeling. Incredibly grateful I’m able to chase like I do. Taken near Ottumwa, IA #iawx #tornado #tornadoes pic.twitter.com/xU8gXav6Vz
— Tanner Charles 🌪 (@TannerCharlesMN) March 31, 2023
Dusty #tornado just crossed by us near Lexa, Arkansas. #arwx pic.twitter.com/iPmDuauPJt
— Frankie Shepherd (@wx_Frankie) April 1, 2023
🚨#BREAKING: A Confirmed large and extremely violent tornado is on the ground⁰⁰📌#Sigourney | #Iowa⁰⁰The National weather service has issues a PDS tornado warning meaning particular Dangerous situation as a confirmed large and extremely violent tornado is on the ground… pic.twitter.com/QWQEUZrz7x
— R A W S A L E R T S (@rawsalerts) March 31, 2023
BREAKING: A large tornado has touched down in Little Rock, Arkansas. Further details:
– Touched down in the Northwestern side of the city.
– Reports indicate that one of the local fire stations have suffered heavy damage.
– Many homes in area also damaged severely according to… pic.twitter.com/AkoRQ6vOK2
— Brian Krassenstein (@krassenstein) March 31, 2023
Strong tornado near Ottumwa, IA – 3:42pm – a lot more video to come soon pic.twitter.com/VbR0O1TMIS
— Michael Marz (@MichaelMarz1) March 31, 2023
⚠️ tornado warning seek shelter immediately
— Midwest vs. Everybody (@midwestern_ope) March 31, 2023
The Wapello County tornado seen from 4 miles south of Hedrick.
🎞: Lauren Sylvester#iawx pic.twitter.com/4dqMBDeZa5
— Riley Fannon (@RileyFannonKTVO) March 31, 2023
🚨BREAKING: The roof of the Apollo Theater in Belvidere, IL collapsed from the storms/tornado during a concert.
20+ ambulances requested.
Emergency Crews are trying to get through the structural collapse debris.
Prayers 🙏🙏 pic.twitter.com/NgHVmnm04f
— Ryan Cunningham (@rycunni) April 1, 2023
Video of tornado damage in Coralville, Iowa pic.twitter.com/xkf3wD18eC
— David Goodner (@davidgoodner) March 31, 2023
Travel will be affected accordingly.
Flight Waivers, Delays and Cancellations
If you are traveling to, from, or within the eastern United States over the next couple of days or so, expect delays and cancellations of flights. Keep up to date on the latest information pertaining to this severe weather system which may adversely affect your travel plans. Better yet, postponing or canceling your trip might be a better option — no matter which mode of travel you plan on taking.
If you have a flight scheduled, your flight may be delayed or canceled — and you may be eligible for a waiver of a fee to change your itinerary.
Here are five airlines which have issued travel alerts as a result of this weather system:
- American Airlines has issued travel alerts for:
- Seven airports in five states in the northeastern United States for Friday, March 31, 2023 through Monday, April 3, 2023; and Wednesday, April 5, 2023 is the last day on which tickets must be reissued and rebooked travel must begin.
- 29 airports in twelve states in the midwestern United States for Friday, March 31, 2023; and Wednesday, April 3, 2023 is the last day on which tickets must be reissued and rebooked travel must begin.
- United Airlines has issued travel alerts for 36 airports in 14 states for Friday, March 31, 2023 through Saturday, April 1, 2023; and Thursday, April 6, 2023 is the last day on which tickets must be reissued and rebooked travel must begin.
- Southwest Airlines has issued travel alerts for twelve airports in ten states for Friday, March 31, 2023; and Friday, April 14, 2023 is the last day on which tickets must be reissued and rebooked travel must begin.
- Sun Country Airlines has issued a travel alert for Minneapolis and Saint Paul for Friday, March 31, 2023 through Saturday, April 1, 2023; and Saturday, April 8, 2023 is the last day on which tickets must be reissued and rebooked travel must begin.
- Air Canada has issued travel alerts for nine airports in seven states for Tuesday, March 14, 2023 through Wednesday, March 15, 2023.
Final Boarding Call
Do not be surprised to see additional airlines issue travel waivers — as well as existing travel waivers being extended — as this severe weather system progresses towards the east.
Be sure to contact your airline or transportation provider for the latest information pertaining to your travels — if they are adversely affected — and please: travel safely.
Photograph ©2018 by Brian Cohen.